Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long to wait before caulking - new construction?

Posted by pbx2 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 11:59

We moved into this new construction in Mid April.
As the house is settling, some of the adjacent window trims, areas around the vanity backsplash, & door trims has begun to separate.

According to builder's warranty - caulking is our responsibility but he said to wait until the 1 year anniversary to let the house settle before caulking.

If I do that, I am afraid the house will not be 'tight' during the cooler months. But then, I really don't want to have to keep recaulking as the house settles into its final position.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long to wait before caulking - new construction?

The beauty of a good quality caulk is it's ability to move with expansion and contraction, I say caulk I don't see the need to wait a year.

o

+1

If a good caulking isn't enough to cover the gap...the house is moving too much.

This post was edited by windowsonwashington on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 9:50

o

If your house is settling you need to consult a structural engineer to find out why and if it will continue. If it is frame shrinkage you need to verify that green or undried lumber was not used.

Why would filling interior cracks affect heating or cooling?

Why would any of this work not be the responsibility of the builder?

o

Use a good elastomeric caulk, not the cheap painter's caulk which will crack with movement.

I would wait until humidity is about mid point between the high and lows of your home. That way, when the moldings expand and contract with the seasons, the amount of movement the caulk it must manage successfully will fall somewhere in the middle and hopefully within its performance range, not the full span, not too much or too little applied. (Hard to describe!)

This post was edited by snookums2 on Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 0:10

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here