Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much weight can 2x6 ceiling joists hold?

Posted by needinfo001 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 11:47

My house was built in 1960. I have a very shallow hip roof and there is less than 2 feet of headroom at the highest point. I would like to put some boxes of junk up there and i was curious about how much weight the joists can hold.
Over a load bearing wall I think the joists are 14 feet long and sit in front of each other and then another piece of wood is bolted to them to connects the joists together.

Although it seems like a solidly built house should i be worried.

Here is a video of what some of the joists look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z01wtpvFbns&list=UUZHJJ05ZqBHRLkpCwF1-d3A

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much weight can 2x6 ceiling joists hold?

What's with all that sistering? Are you sure those aren't "repaired" trusses? We need a much better video or pictures, with a tape measure included.

o

Trebruchet

The roof was stick built.
There are no pre engineered trusses used..
They are not truly "sistered". That wood nalied to the joists was to connect the opposing joists.i think that was done because the joists would have been to long to be lapped across each each other.

o

Typical roof truss construction for the time.

You will be fine.

Lay some 1/2" plywood or OSB board across the rafters and nail or better yet screw them down to distribute the weight.

o

The limiting issue will be deflection and potential cracking of the ceiling. Is 14 ft the span from support to support of the joists? Do they support any part of the rafters? Do they support anything other than a drywall ceiling?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here