Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where do i find 14 1/2 ft replacement boards for oak flooring?

Posted by needinfo001 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 11:25

I have oak hardwood floors. They are 3/4 inch thick and 2 1/4 wide. They are original to the house. Some of the boards are over 14 feet long.
I need to make some repairs to a spot that has rotted out because of a leak in a wall.
Since most of the boards are very long i dont want to replace the 5 or 6 damaged ones with small sizes that they sell at the big box stores.

I there any place that i can go to get lengths that are 10 to over 14 feet long?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where do i find 14 1/2 ft replacement boards for oak flooring

More than likely not unless you go to a mill and have them custom milled. Expect to pay a tremendous amount of money for a few long length's if you even find someone to run them for you.

o

Contact a flooring company. They often have odd lots of flooring---and your species/size are common.

Otherwise, outside of Craigs list /etc., what millworkman advised.

o

For the right price,a cabinet shop or hardwood dealer can special order them for you. I don't want to say for certain based on a picture but I'm not convinced it is oak. At any rate,unless there is great historical or sentimential value attached,I would use ash. Any accomplished woodworker should be able to do the same since the floor has been stained already.

o

Those do look like oak. However, if you replace them, the two main issues are: 1) if they are tongue and groove boards, it is going to be a hassle to remove them without doing damage to adjacent boards; and 2) getting a finish to match. Are those boards really rotted, or just discolored from water exposure?

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 4:06

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here