Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dry creek bed for drainage

Posted by lisa__in_ma (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 11:04

Hello

Need some drainage assistance here. please : )

I'm in Massachusetts and the roof of my 1854 house has an amazingly low pitch to it (rubber roofed now) that used to have internal gutters, But those gutters were removed and covered over, and any exterior gutters would come off say contractors with all the snow.

So I'm wondering if anyone has used a dry creek bed for drainage away from the house from roof run-off like a ground gutter. Unfortunately due to the way the house is situated, just sloping away from the house hasn't worked as when it rains heavily and the soil is saturated, water comes in through the fieldstone to flood the cellar.

So hoping maybe a dry creek bed almost directly under the drip line and flowing away from the house to the backyard, might be an idea.

ANyone thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dry creek bed for drainage

A 158 y.o. field stone foundation isn't giving you much protection from ground water or surface water. You need to get the run-off away from the walls, but I don't think a 'dry creek' is the way to go.
Good quality gutters, properly installed, should not 'come off with all of the snow'. Ice can be a problem, but that can be addressed with electric gutter heaters.
JMHO

o

THank you so much for responding!!! I really appreciate it!

The roof pitch is 1:3 (why I went with the rubber roof) and it's the north side of the house so no sun whatsoever. We often get over well over100 in. of snow (why someone built this house here is beyond me except they were expecting to freeze themselves in the winter.) and there is a very slow melt/build up for all the snow we get. For just rain, gutters seem to be the answer, but in winter would you suggest anything in addition to Electric gutter heaters? It's the slow build up of the ice/snow (dams) load that that the contractors say would take them down.

Thanks for your thoughts - Lisa

o

If you do a Google search on 'ice dam prevention products' you'll see a number of systems that you might put to use.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here