Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave777_2009

Entrance Door Problem /caused by roof work

dave777_2009
14 years ago

Hi -

Been working on a House remodel project for quite some time. Almost finished. Couple of years ago - took out part of the main front wall, and replaced it - making the wall square and level - for a new fiberglass entrance door. Door has been fine since install.

Now - Putting in a new porch, and adding a porch roof. We had to cut into the roof facia, lots of other stuff. Roof was somewhat 'open'. Rain came two days ago. We put plastic up on the roof where it was open - since I'm not finished with the porch, new roof, etc.

Well - water dripped down off the plastic, and onto the door. The wood door jambs swelled, and now the door is extremely tight.

Yesterday morning was when I first found out the door had gotten wet and swelled (after the night rain) - but it became sunny for most of the day - and I was hoping the door jamb would dry out. Today, and the next couple of days - it is supposed to be sunny. This morning - door is still bad. (I live in Seattle). I'll get this new roof on in the next couple of days. I have the new rafters up.

Any ideas on if - the frame of the door is permanently ruined? I'm framing up a false wall above the door - to give the appearance of more space from the outside... But if the door is going to stay jammed - or if the door framing is permanently ruined - perhaps after I get the roof installed - I should plan on replacing the door again... Just looking for some thoughts on how long the door jambs should take to dry out... any comments?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler