Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whyme505898

Asphalt Driveway Repair

whyme505898
15 years ago

I am going to do repairs on my own driveway. For doing some of the cracks i will be using sand. Which sand do i use, play sand or silica sand. I have both types of sand in my barn,,one for the kids play box and the silica sand for small sandblasting projects. The silica sand seems less sticky,,really loose compared to play sand,,any ideas,,,Thanks for reading this and i hope someone has used sand before to help me. Thank You and have a wonderful day,,Mark B.

Comments (10)

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

Curious as to why you want to use sand to fix asphalt....

• whyme505898
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am going to use the sand to fill in all the really bad areas that are all cracked. The areas that are all cracked that look like spider webs. The sand will fill in the cracks and then seal coat and it should look nice. The reason i am asking is a seal coat truck that does driveways wanted to do my drive at $350.00,,this also included filling in these type of cracks with sand before sealcoating these areas. The larger cracks i will use the crack filler,but not sure about the type of sand to use. There aint no way i will pay that kind of money,,all together i can do it for alot less than that. This is the reason for asking about the sand? Thank you for asking,Mark,

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

"a seal coat truck that does driveways wanted to do my drive at $350.00"

that is one of the oldest home repair scams going. within no time the sealant wears off and the cracks are back.

for small cracks, just work the sealer down in the crack, no need to fill them.

but if you want to do it RIGHT, have the asphalt relaid on a proper bed. the asphalt is flexing and this is causiing your cracks.

• tommyw
    15 years ago

Here's what I did for spider cracks - I got a torch that attaches to a large propane tank. You go back and forth across the spider cracks and they will slowly disappaear as the asphalyt melts and expands. I filled in larger cracks with filler and also heated with the torch. I then put a coat of driveway seal acroos the whole area --- looks terrific! Good Luck!

• whyme505898
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello i do have a large torch hooked to a propane tank, I filled a few cracks(larger ones) and i used the torch to help melt i down into the deep cracks,,then i put some play sand on top of it and told the kids not to ride the bikes on it until it set up. It is not sticky any more to the touch but it still has a very light tenderness to it and it filled in real nice. I am going to try it on the smaller spider web cracks and will let you know how it works,,,Thanks For Your Idea,,glad it worked for you,,give some luck and i will inform you how it worked,,,,Thank again,,Mark,,Have A Nice Weekend!!!

• jeff8541
    15 years ago

Sorry for the hijack, but for some reason I cannot post a message in the Home Repair forum. I can in all the others, but I don't think asphalt repair has anything to do with woodworking. So, that being said, I guess I'll ask my question here:

Hi, absolutely brand new here since I googled "asphalt repair" I found this place. Anyway, I got an asphalt driveway installed 5 days ago. The old driveway was gravel, mostly dirt & grass. The contractor scraped the surface, rolled it, then laid down 2.5" of asphalt. Today (5 days later) I noticed cracks and "buldges" like something is trying to push up from underneath. The area is kind of soft. Is this just an example of shoddy construction, or are moles trying to destroy my new driveway? We do have moles. I live at 9,000' in Colorado if that makes any difference.

• lucy
    15 years ago

Check your other post.

• ron6519
    15 years ago

"Sorry for the hijack, but for some reason I cannot post a message in the Home Repair forum. I can in all the others, but I don't think asphalt repair has anything to do with woodworking. So, that being said, I guess I'll ask my question here:
    Hi, absolutely brand new here since I googled "asphalt repair" I found this place. Anyway, I got an asphalt driveway installed 5 days ago. The old driveway was gravel, mostly dirt & grass. The contractor scraped the surface, rolled it, then laid down 2.5" of asphalt. Today (5 days later) I noticed cracks and "buldges" like something is trying to push up from underneath. The area is kind of soft. Is this just an example of shoddy construction, or are moles trying to destroy my new driveway? We do have moles. I live at 9,000' in Colorado if that makes any difference."
    The contractor did an improper job. Without the proper base,the asphalt will fail. And he didn't even put a base in.
    Ron

• littlebug5
    15 years ago

This reminds me - a homeowner near our area golf course recently had his driveway "resurfaced." It is now EXACTLY the same color and texture of a swimming pool! Yes, that kind of bright baby blue! It really looks funny because his driveway slopes down from the street to his garage which is in his basement. So at first glance it looks like a swimming pool slide going down to a pool.

It's really eye-catching. If I was his neighbor I'd be really p1ssed.

• none_sorry_com
    13 years ago

you can use a product called TL-2000 for asphalt repair. It can repair cracks and potholes and also coat the top layer to prevent any future deficiencies. you can search google for tl-2000 asphalt repair for more information or visit http://www.halik.biz/tl_2000
    oh and also view this short video explaining halik LTD asphalt repair
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61_-bGKpe1A&feature=player_embedded

Here is a link that might be useful: asphalt maintenance