Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ice arrestor for slate roof

Posted by bentap (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 22, 11 at 10:45

I have just rec'd word my new insurance company in Maine wants me to put in ice arrestors on one side of the house. I can't seem to find a clear answer what they are? I have a HUGE concern about doing anything to a slate roof that is not leaking, and in reasonably good repair. Any ideas what they mean and how one goes about doing that for a slate roof?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ice arrestor for slate roof

Have you previously had issues with ice damning?

o

This might be a big enough pain so you want to check with some other insurance companies. My company requires me to have a fence with a self-locking gate around my pool. My neighbor's company does not even require a fence.

o

I've never heard them called "ice arrestors" but what the insurance company may be talking about is a metal "grid" - for want of a better word - that sticks up above the slate and breaks any ice sheets into smaller, less dangerous pieces before they slide off the roof. If the side they're talking about is the one that receives the most direct sun, they are probably concerned with large dangerous loads of ice and snow sliding off and damaging things, including people, below.

I agree that installation needs to be done very carefully and the whole process is likely to be pretty expensive. There is a company in Portland that specializes in slate roofs, both new and historic, which should be able to help you.

A second insurance company is also a very good idea. Steel roofs would have the same issue with sliding snow, but I do not see any "ice arrestors" on them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here