Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP!!!! Toilet rocking and leaking around base.

Posted by vldm (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 6, 09 at 10:44

My husband has tried to fix our toilet several times. We even had someone else to come in to fix it. It would be fine for a couple of hours then the rocking would start again. Then the leaking would begin. I am tired of cleaning up urine and my bathroom smelling like a sewer. This all started when the old flange broke. The person we called the last time cleaned around the drain pipe (which is in concrete) to ensure the flange was flush against the floor. The toilet was fine for a while then started to rock from back to front a little. Then eventually from side to side. I am guessing by then the wax ring broke. My husband is ready to go by a whole new toilet to see if that will work. Please help!!!!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP!!!! Toilet rocking and leaking around base.

Is the old flange still broken?

Did the toilet work fine until the flange broke?

Are the mounting screws properly contained in the flange?

Is the floor level(even) where the toilet sits?

If the flange is still broken, it must be replaced. Replacing the flange will take care of the mounting bolt problem.

If the floor is unlevel(uneven), there are shims(I recommend the plastic ones) sold at home improvement/hardware/plumbing stores to install to stop the unlevelness.

The only other thingt of which I can think is that the old wax ring/funnel assembly was not removed, causing the tiolet base to sit too high on the new(succeeding) wax rings and cause the rocking.

o

There is an alternative to the wax ring you might want to try as well. A friend of mine that manages apartments told me they work great. See the LINK below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Wax Free Gasket

o

Mac is right -- the flange must be replaced and the floor flat. Shim the toilet so it doesn't rock if necessary.

I've used the "wax free" devices that Drywall Guy suggested. They do work but the basics need to be right as well.

o

One word "plumber"

o

I ment to add if all else fails

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here