Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Support Cinder Block Wall With Wood Posts?

Posted by PaulVera (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 24, 11 at 10:30

The cinder block wall that separates my yard from my neighbor's needs to be replaced. However, my neighbor does not want to split the cost of replacing it. Is it possible to support the wall with wooden posts set in poured concrete and then bolt these posts to the wall?

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Support Cinder Block Wall With Wood Posts?

Impossible to tell without more information - wall height, present condition, original construction, provisions for darinage, etc.

If the wall is holding back a slope, wooden posts are unlikely to provide enough support.

o

First, you have to look at your survey to determine who owns the wall. If the property line is on the dirt side, then you own the wall and he owns the dirt. That means the headaches are all yours. (Or vice versa) If the property line is down the middle of the wall, then you both own it and need to maintain it properly. Half assery with wooden posts isn't proper repair and maintenance.

Retaining block walls hold back a LOT of weight. If damaged or improperly constructed, a heavy rain can cause them to move downhill and carry the hill with them. Y'all had better have deep pockets, because you are assuming the liability if it fails. Insurance won't pay for damages due to neglected maintenance or improper repairs.

o

Can you post a picture of the wall please? That will be more helpful to understand the situation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Handyman London

o

Cinder blocks or concrete blocks?

o

After 1971 quake in San Fernando area my dad talked to man that was really upset about his very long wall & how much it would cost to repair or replace it. Since it was on level ground & just a foot in on his property from sidewalk my dad drew him pilasters to put up every 8-10 ft. They are cement wider at bottom & have rebar in center & are up against side of wall that was leaning out toward street. Wall was only leaning not broken anywhere.At top the cement is narrowed. Looks like it was meant to be that way. I drove by it yesterday & it is still in great shape. About 200 ft. long. He mixed cement up himself after dad helped him brace it with 2x4's once pilasters were cured all braces removed & looks like it is all original. The cement was just smoothed& is narrower both ways at top so from side it is narrower than at bottom & looking straight on it is narrower as goes up. I think dad had him dig down about a foot to embed the rebar, can't remember is dad made him a form or not. Dad is 95 now & had stroke so wouldn't remember but the man saved a lot of money & since it is on a corner it was all his responsibility. No neighbor to deal with. Good luck. Oh, wood rots so cement would be better. If fence in good shape might be able to sink steel poles in next to it but wouldn't look professional like 1 my dad helped guy do.(At no charge I might add).

o

The point about being sure of who owns the problems is a valid one. If you turn out to be the owner, be sure to check with your city about any permits needed. Retaining walls over 16" need a permit for replacement where I am and I imagine it's not too different in most locations. Ones over a certain height also have to have an engineer's stamp in addition to a permit. Wet soil is a lot more heavy than you imagine, and doing an incorrect fix on a tall retaining wall is potential disaster in the making. Just look at the film footage of a mud slide to get an idea of the power of wet soil and gravity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here