Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you replace built-in weatherstripping?

Posted by brainlessgardener (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 10:28

My pre-hung steel doors have built-in weatherstripping. I want to replace it with a different color (you're not supposed to paint vinyl). It doesn't look like you can just pull it out. Is it not possible to replace some kinds of weatherstripping?

If not, should I look into a vinyl dye?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you replace built-in weatherstripping?

There is generally a kerf in the frame that a compression or magnetic weatherstrip is slid into. This weatherstrip should just pull out. It is replaceable but the only colors I know of that are available are white and bronze.

o

+1

Post up a picture but MillWorkMan is, as always, dead on.

They had to get it in there somehow so that pretty much is it.

o

It looks like bronze, white, and beige are available. allaboutdoors has a full line it seems. I also found an ariticle on SFgate.com (San Fran newspaper)

If you have a older door that needs some, (as I do in a 50yo house) Cinch makes some pretty easy to use self adhesive ones that a local contractor recommended on his radio show at cinchdoorseal.com

Here is a link that might be useful: SFGate.com Steel Door Seal Replacement

o

The beige or sand as some manufacturers call it is I do believe only available in the Q-lon or compression type not the magnetic that some of the steel door manufacturers use and I prefer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here