Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing storm/screen door

Posted by chris_ont (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 11 at 10:09

Hi
I'm not sure in which forum to place this question.

I have an older home (60 years).
I would like to remove the screen door at the front because it's ugly and it makes it hard to get in and out when your hands are full. I don't need it for ventilation in the summer. There is a small, open landing outside with a roof.

The entrance door is solid wood with three narrow windows in the upper third. The door closes tightly and has weather stripping.

My question is that, given the above, how much value is the screen door in terms of added insulation (by trapping a little warmer air between the wood door and the screen door in the winter)?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing storm/screen door

I would replace it. I have a new fiberglass front door that went without a storm for several years. I installed a storm last summer and it did make a difference this winter. We are in New England and the front door faces NE where the nasty stuff comes from. One other issue that I didn't anticipate was curb appeal. It added that finished look.

o
RE: Removing storm/screen door

It must be doing something right, or it wouldn't qualify for tax credit. Storms prevent the (much more expensive) interior door from getting the tar beat out of it by the weather. My house came with no storm doors, and after nearly 10 years of constant maintenance on the exterior doors, I bit the bullet, had the frames built up to accept storm doors, and installed them. Haven't regretted it. I also like the ability to open the interior doors to let more light and air in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here