Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deets_gw

best tool for the job

deets
15 years ago

what is the best tool for cutting the sink hole in a formica countertop? The last top I tried to cut using a jig saw and it burned out.

This hole will be even harder to cut as the sink is very large and I'll have to cut into the front and rear framework of the top. Any suggestions? thanks.

Comments (6)

• rockhead515
    15 years ago

Use a circular saw. Carefully cut to the corner then finish with a hand saw.

Good luck with your project;-)

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

Try a professional quality jig saw like the ones from BOSH. Mine is still running after 33 years but I got a new one because of all the new fancy features. Be sure to use the right blade and eye protection.

Here is a link that might be useful: BOSH

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

I like to start the corners with the appropriately-sized holesaw, and connect them with a skilsaw or sawzall. Cutting from underneath with a jigsaw ensures a tearout-free result. If cutting from above, use tape to protect the laminate from having the saw base scratch.
    Casey

• randy427
    15 years ago

A good quality scroll saw should be adequate. My Sears 1" has done a lot of hard and thick cuts over the past 25+ years.
    I've found that the best way to keep from burning out my saws is to use new, sharp, high quality blades. It also results it a better looking finish product.
    Dull, old blades will force the motor to work harder and get hotter.
    P.S. Inspect your cut line first from all angles to make sure you won't encounter a nail or screw along the way.

• lazypup
    15 years ago

I have a Makita jig saw that I bought back in the 80's and I use it to cut anything from Formica counter tops and plywood subfloors to intricate schrol cuts in 4" dimensional lumber.

Two years ago someone gave me a Rotozip for Christmas and it sat on a shelf in the workshop for the first year. One day I was working on a small countertop and I got the brainstorm to try using my Formica cutter bit in the Rotozip. It worked excellant as a Formica cutter so I then decided to try a wood cutting bit and see what this tool could really do. After making a series of intricate cuts on a scrap piece of 3/4"plywood I decided to stack two layers of 3/4" plywood and see if it would cut 1-1/2". It cut the 1-1/2" with no problem.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    15 years ago

I've always used a jig saw and good quality blades. You can use a fairly aggressive blade because the lip of the sink will cover any minor chip out.

As the cut out wants to fall it tends to bind the blade. You can screw a couple of scraps to the underside to support is as you cut.