Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcarlson78248

Need framing nailer recommendations

I need to buy a full round head framing nailer to use for my basement and garage finishing and I'm looking for recommendations on a reasonably priced product. It will only be for personal use.

The Porter Cable FR350B seems to be a good product in the $200 price range, and the Hitachi NR90AF is about the same price and has similar reviews. I could also step up to the Hitachi NR83A3 for about $270, but I'm not sure what extra capability I get.

Any insights or suggestions?

Thanks

Bruce

Comments (11)

• handymac
    9 years ago

I have owned and used a Porter Cable clipped head framer for 15 years or more. Sadly PC has been swallowed up by Black and Decker---along with Delta and DeWalt. The PC line has been cheapened it seems.

That leaves the Hitachi---either model should be fine. The more expensive model is probably built stronger for commercial use.

• hippy
    9 years ago

Hitachi NR90AF =
    28 degree,
    Offset Round nail heads = The heads are round, but not centered on the nails shank,
    Wire Collation = Two pieces of thin wire are welded to the nails to hold them together.

Hitachi NR83A3 =
    21 degree
    Full Round Head = Full round heads centered on the nails shank.
    Plastic Strip Collation = The nails are held together by a plastic stripe.

Of the two you have chosen. I would go with the NR83.
    ==============

I have been replacing just about all of my worn out power tools with Hitachi for several years now. I honestly think that they have the best made tools for the money. Some are heavy compared to other similar products, Say a 7 1/4" Dewalt circular saw VS Hitachi. Power and smoothness of operation they are not even in the same ball park.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I'd go hoseless, no doubt. My 20-year-old Paslode still works like a champ.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 20:12

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

When I used an compressor driven nailer, I used SENCO.

When I switched to gas powered, I chose HITACHI, because, they use the same nails and they are available almost everywhere, unlike PASLODE.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

I've had a Max brand framing nailer for over 10 years. It's powerful, light, well-balanced, and has a great mechanism to easily clear nail jams (although these hardly ever occur.) I just had a carpenter who works only on high end homes offer me a lot of money for this nailer. Max doesn't make the specific model I have anymore, but the newer one gets great reviews on Amazon. You may not have heard of this brand, but, in the world of nailers, they're widely known for the quality and reliability of their guns.

Here is a link that might be useful: Max Super Framer

• hippy
    9 years ago

Posted by snoonyb

When I used an compressor driven nailer, I used SENCO.

When I switched to gas powered, I chose HITACHI, because, they use the same nails and they are available almost everywhere, unlike PASLODE.
    ===========

I have two Paslode framing nailers and have not used them for over four years for that very reason. If I want to use one of them. It is a two hour drive to the nearest Lowes just to buy nails and fuel. Now have a Hitachi NR90GR2. Need fuel or nails. No problem 3 minute drive away.

Have not tried them yet. But heard that Grip Rite 21 degree nails will work in them also. If so the local Hardware store sells 3" Grip Rite nails at $31 for a box of 4000.

• energy_rater_la
    9 years ago

hmmm haven't had that issue with fuel cells or nails with
    my paslode...that thing is probably 10+ years old.

much easier than moving a hose like with senco nailers
    I've used.
    of course you pay more for convience.

good to know you've had good luck with the hitachi
    I'll keep that in mind as I replace tools.

• hippy
    9 years ago

Energy

I have never had a single problem with either of the Paslode Framing nailers I have. Just basic maintenance of clean & lube.

The problem is. No one but Lowes sell Paslode fuel cells and 30 degree nails near me. It is a 2 four round trip to get to the nearest Lowes. The local Mom & Pop hardware store sell tons of Grip Rite and Senco 21 and 28 degree nails. But will not stock the 30's for they sell 100 boxes of 21/28 to one 30 degree. With the Hitachi I have no problems with getting fuel or nails for it.

If it came down to needing nails to finish a job.

Would you rather drive 2 hours or 2 minutes to get what you need?

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

" hippy"

The fuel calls were universal, the exception being that both framing and finish paslode cells are only identifiable by color and label.

Because this was the case, there was a rumor that paslode was changing the aperture for the fuel cell.
    However, I haven't had to restock recently.

I also have reasonable success with this one, as well;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb6O8pQhdvc

• mike_kaiser_gw
    9 years ago

B&D has owned DeWalt for a couple of decades at least. They were very careful about keeping the two names separate lest a contractor shy away from a tool made by a company best known for toasters. Early DeWalt tools were B&D industrial in yellow and black. I had circa '93 12v cordless drill that I dropped off the top of a ladder and it hit chuck first causing a "grinding" sound. Even though it was out of warranty and I explained what happened, B&D repaired it without charge.

B&D also owns (maybe owned) Elu which was better known in Europe. I had a Elu router that was a twin of the DeWalt 625 with a different color scheme. Darn fine router.

With the acquisition of Delta and P-C by B&D from Pentair, P-C has seemed to be placed as a DIY/homeowner level product. Although I think they still have the "big" Speedmatic routers.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

"They were very careful about keeping the two names separate lest a contractor shy away from a tool made by a company best known for toasters."

They had a "colorful" evolution.
    In the 80's I had a B&D industrial roto-hammer, wore it out, eventually.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia