Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Digging a footer for an existing mobile home

Posted by obrionusa (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 8:40

I'm thinking of putting in an offer for a mobile home that is on the channel of a lake. The realtor who is my cousin said they will not loan on the place because there is no footer. So Im thinking of cashing in my stock, buying it and doing some repairs. My question is when I go to pour a footer how deep would I need to be in Northern Indiana for a footer? Could I dig a 12" hole and make concrete pillars? This would be the easiest because I dont think I would have to pull the place off the lot to dig an actual footer. The moble Home will have to stay because if I put up another one the new codes come into effect which would prevent several options.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Digging a footer for an existing mobile home

The only things that need to be under a mobile home are two long concrete slabs---is that what you are calling a footer?

The slabs here in Kansas are 4" thick, built like a driveway would be built(ok, two very narrow parallel driveways).

There may be totally different regulations in Indiana. Ask the city/county codes office for the necessary info.

o
RE: Digging a footer for an existing mobile home

Cashing in any stock to throw good money after bad on a "home" that depreciates as soon as it rolls off the lot is just about the worst idea ever. No bank will lend on an older mobile home regardless if it has footings or not, despite the "information" provided by the self interested relative that's trying to snooker you here.

The entire value of that property is in the land only. If you can afford to buy it cash outright and live in it while you construct a conventional home on it, that's the only way it would ever make sense to purchase. If you cannot afford to do that under any new environmental regulations that exist to protect the lake, then pass this "opportunity" by.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here