Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vent Help-URGENT!

Posted by autiemom (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 12 at 8:38

I'm not sure if this is the right spot to post this. I have a three year old with autism who is constantly pulling up our floor heating vents and standing in them. Is there a way to either screw them into the floor? Or a home improvement I can make to discrouage this. Because she is autistic, it will take a very long time to discipline her out of this behavior, and she has already disconnected one of the tubes that brings the ac and heat up. I of course am also worried about her hurting herself. Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vent Help-URGENT!

The vents should have a lip that extends past the opening and over the floor. I say drill some small holes through the sheet metal edges of the grate and then use some wood screws to fasten the grate to the floor. Shouldn't take much to prevent her from pulling them out.

o
RE: Vent Help-URGENT!

Yes, you can drill them and screw them into the floor, as sdello suggested - they do that all the time to secure them to the ceiling.

OP, were you able to reconnect the one that came apart? You're right, not only is it hazardous to your house, it's hazardous to your child. That stuff is sharp, for one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here