Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crawlspace Plastic vapor barrier

Posted by geesh (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 31, 11 at 8:35

Another crawlspace question:
I had the seller install plastic on the floor of my dirt crawlspace. It is NOT excapsulated /not sealed at edges (didnt know about that beforehand). The musty-mildew smell is terrible. My question, is the plastic doing more harm than good ? The dirt underneith is always damp & has been damp for about a year. Am I better ioff removing the plastic & letting the dirt dry out ? I do NOT see any mold or milder on any walls of wood flooring above crawlspace..
Thanks for your input..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crawlspace Plastic vapor barrier

To clarify, I bought the house a year ago. The plastic has been on the dirt/rock ground for one year. The dirt is not drying out & I assume it never will & as is, I am starting to think it will stink forever.. I do not have the money to excapsulate the crawlspace or add an expensive dehumidifier. I have the damp ground, I have 6 open vents, and a box fan running to move the air. So far what im doing isnt workinbg.

o

Is the fan just blowing the damp air around the crawlspace, or do you have it set up to draw drier air in by blowing the damp air out?

o

The box fan is just moving air around. Not drawing in nor blowing out..

o

"The box fan is just moving air around. Not drawing in nor blowing out.."

Then it is not doing anything.

o

It sounds like you have a ventilation problem. Removing the vapor barrier isn't going to fix that.

o
So is it a overall opinion.......

So is it a consensus that I install 2-3 vent fans to pull moist air OUT of the crawlspace ? Sounds like a good plan. Should I just leave the plastic down as is or tear it out so the dirt underneith can dry ?
Thanks for your inputs..

o

Leave the plastic down.

o

If you are in a hot-humid climate, ventilation can cause more moisture in a crawl space than sealing it up. There can more moisture available from the circulating air than from the ground. What is your climate like?

Where is the smell, outside or inside of the house?

o

It is more than just a climate issue.

It depends on the exact conditions on the lot and in the crawl space.

If there is a ready source of moisture for the crawl space, it may never dry out and ventilation is very likely to help.

o

Southern Missouri on Table Rock Lake. The ground is always damp- water table I guess.. The smell is very strong in the crawlspace, until we ventilate the main living floor the smell seeps up from the crawlspace. For now we are only at the lake house about 4 days per month.
* I am thinking of adding 2- double fan exhaust vents with humidistats

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here