Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homebound_gw

60' x 48' deep shelving - support suggestions

homebound
13 years ago

I am building three tiers of shelving in a deep alcove in a laundry room. Alcove dimensions are 60" wide x 48" deep, and this will be for storage bins stuffed with random home stuff, pantry overflow-type stuff (pots, pans, mixer, etc. etc.)

First plan was to build horizontal support frames with 1"x3", then slide plywood onto it. But I'm thinking about gaining some vertical space by eliminating a horizontal frame box, and instead having a center support for each shelf that goes front to back. Do you think that would be enough to avoid shelf deflection, or would you stick with box frames? What would you do to provide the strength, yet minimize the vertical loss of space. Folks want 3 shelves, but I have a low ceiling (perhaps 6" 10" or so)..

Thanks much.

Comments (6)

• homebound
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry, I meant to say "2"x3" lumber for the box frames.

• hendricus
    13 years ago

Use 1" flooring plywood, that should be good. If anything use more support for the lowest shelf which will carry the most weight. Nobody puts a mixer on the top shelf.

• homebound
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmm, never heard of it. Thanks. Time to make some calls.

• sierraeast
    13 years ago

Might not work for you cosmetically, but I've supported tiered shelving by using chain at the corners supported by the ceiling joits. The shelves were the width of the layout of the joists so that the chains were at each corner. You might have to run support blocking dependent on the width of yours. The chain was attached using eye bolts, nuts and washers drilled through the frame. The second and third tier was chained off of the shelf above. This leaves the floor area open and the chain each corner is minimal obstructions for items being removed or placing on the shelves. My frames were 2x4's with 1/2" acx plywood,( good one side), but I'm sure 2x3's would be fine with 3/4" plywood. For cosmetics, you could face off the 2x3's with a veneer that's paintable or stainable dependent on other wood works in your home in order to match, or run a paintable/stainable peice of 3/4 material flush to the bottom of the frame, but up enough to have a lip to keep items from sliding off.

• homebound
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for that option. I will be using cleats to support the sides. I was more concerned about having necessary center support. Anyway, since 1" ply seems to be a special order item, I may just install some "T" supports in the middle of each shelf. Something like that.

Since it's utility storage, maybe another option would be to use slotted angle steel underneath.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

Search on 'sagulator' to find out what the span and loads will provide.

1x3 (even 1x2) is likely to be more than adequate for medium to light loads.

If you switch to hardwoods (instead of softwoods) 1x2 WILL be more than enough.