Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buying corian overstock

Posted by SquareDarlings (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 15, 11 at 8:23

I am shopping for corian. The kind I like - Slate - is running around $70/sq ft. I found overstock pieces at solidsurface.com for $20/sq ft. A significant savings. Has anyone ever bought overstock corian? I'd appreciate any advice. Worries I'm having are:

Would overstock pieces match or would they be slightly different in color variation?
Can I find an installer in my area to work with the corian?

I live in Geneva NY - about an hour outside of Rochester and Syracuse.
I hope someone can help - let me know!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buying corian overstock

Solid surface can be worked with woodworking tools, and if you have an experienced carpenter and don't need to do a seam or undermount sink, you can probably have him do a simple countertop with no built up edge (the normal process). If you need anything more advanced than a tooled slab, then you need the services of a shop and a certified fabricator.

Purchasing from solidsurface is designed for the skilled DIYer or the experienced pro who is no longer associated with a shop. You're not going to find a certified fabricator to work with scraps, or even whole sheets that you purchase. Corian certifies their fabricators personally, and they will all work for firms who gave you the $70 quote. Part of the profit is in them purchasing the material. And if a fabricator is no longer associated with a shop, you have to wonder why.

If you can't DIY the job, then even getting the slabs for free is useless to you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here