Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting over window glass

Posted by russelldriver (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 7:47

Hi all - I have moved into a new flat and tried fixing my bedroom window with putty and it all went wrong and now i have hard putty all over the glass and pain and i even cracked the glass trying to get it off, so the window(sash slide up) just looks horrible right now. I dont have the finances to replace the sash window just yet but I was thinking what if i painted a white paint over the entire internal section of the window even over the glass, to make a featrure type window and then put up photographs and arty stuff to hide the crack and bad attempt at repairs? Do you think this would look horrible or am I on to something here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting over window glass

I'd suggest, remove the sash. Remove the putty and broken glass, buy a new piece of glass and try again.

If you paint the whole thing it will look like painted glass. The aesthetics of the end result are up to you. If you like it...leave it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

o

If the putty is hard - you can use an old iron (cover the sole plate with aluminum foil ) to soften the putty.

Or remove the sash - and take it to a hardware store - they can reglaze it for you.

o

Instead of paint, perhaps window film would work for you. It doesn't look bad. Google "privacy window film". It would look better on the exterior than paint and still let some light through. And come OFF when you're ready to fix it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here