Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I access this?

Posted by musicteacher (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 7:02

My tub has a drain plug that lifts about 1/2 inch to drain but does not come all the way out. It is clogged now and I can't get in there to clean it out. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I access this?

If you push it down to engage it, it unscrews.

o

If you cover the overflow with a wet cloth while plunging the drain,that may do the trick without removing the stopper. The proper way to use a plunger is. Push down slowly then pull up smarty to begain. Progressivly increase the speed of down and up.

o

This is a different version of what Klem1 posted, but basically the same principle.

Make sure the trap is full, cover the overflow with a _wet_ cloth, use a wet/dry vac to vacuum the trap. Refill trap with water, vacuum again. You must cover the overflow with a _wet_ cloth, and make sure you refill the trap each time b/4 vacuuming.

Some plumber told me that one many years ago, it works.

o

Go to a Home Depot(other home improvement stores may have a similar product) and get the item linked.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hair snare

o

If it's the types that looks like a big spring-loaded button with a rubber seal around it, it does unscrew as mentioned above. The problem I always have is that the metal X bar that it screws into the center of, is a hair trap x 4. You have to unscrew the thing and remove it, then get long nose pliers or a hemostat to pull out the hair that's draped over the X. You will be shocked and disgusted at how much is hanging down into the drain.

o

That thing Handymac linked is awesome for hair (we have a lot of long hair in the household). You might still have to take the thingie off for best declogging.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here