Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fixed my loose window

Posted by OldFixer (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 6:57

Finally found what I had been looking for. I remember the product, and could visualize it, but didn't know what it was called. Oddly, it popped up under "Window Springs". It's not a spring as you would think, but rather a spring tension metal. My old castle has several double hung wooden windows that are loose, and rattle in the frame. This item simply is attached in the channel between the window pane frame and the wall frame. The spring tension tightens it up nicely, No rattles, and if the window is loose enough to fall down, it helps keep them up. Having a description, and maker, helped the search. They were spotted on ebay, for $12. (nein). Saw Home Depot had them in stock, for $3.xx. Obvious choice. This little doo-dad may be a simple solution to your window problem. We old house fixers need something easy now and then.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fixed my loose window

They are also available from ACE and TRUE VALUE, have been recommended in these forums for years.

They have been available for over 35yrs. that I know of.

The use of the product, while it being a quick-fix, also has the obvious shortcomings of not having the durability of a sash balance.

o
RE: Fixed my loose window

Thanks for showing that, OldFixer. I have windows that rattle in big winds (older home)-eventually hope to get to window upgrades.

So I watched a youtube showing one similar to this. Your photo shows I think just one piece of metal with two nail holes, where as the other showed a little divergence into two metals just in the middle with air in between that the window presses down as you rise it.

Regardless, glad to know I can short term fix some rattling windows. I also watched youtube on "sash balance"-that's a little more than I'm up to right now.

Thanks very much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here