Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can an Installed Molly Bolt be Adjusted Slightly?

Posted by marita40 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 20, 10 at 6:29

I hung a 36" coat rack on a wallboard wall with the two molly bolts it came with. A nice and secure hold, but--aargh!--it was not level. One corner is just a little high--just under 1/4". I hate to drill more holes in the wall in another place. Is it possible to lower the one molly just slightly to level the coat rack? Can I dig a bit under the molly bolt face to enlarge the hole and somehow push the molly a bit lower? Any advice would be very welcome. And I did invest in a level this time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can an Installed Molly Bolt be Adjusted Slightly?

No, It must be redone.

o

Loosen both sides, level it, retighten while holding the rack level. Get some help to make it easier, one holding it level, the other tightening.

o

"Can I dig a bit under the molly bolt face to enlarge the hole and somehow push the molly a bit lower?"

Not if it was installed correctly.

If there is any play in the holes in the rack you can try and move it slightly.

You could also enlarge the hole in the rack slightly to buy more play to level.

If the screw head from the molly is not solidly supported after enlarging the holes, put a washer under the screw head.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here