Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laminate sheet on backer cement board

Posted by milele (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 13, 09 at 0:41

We are creating a laundry room in the basement. We are covering the studs with cement board for a backsplash. We found a beautiful 8' long laminate sheet perfect for the backsplash. Can I glue the sheet to the cement board? What should I use? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laminate sheet on backer cement board

"Can I glue the sheet to the cement board? What should I use?"

1. Yep
2. Double coated contact cement

o

I wouldn't recommend cement board for a laminate substrate.
Laminate works with exterior plywood. Tile works with cement board.
Ron

o

The cement alphonse suggested is the way to go. No matter what you glue the laminate to, there is a technique to be followed or you'll have a mess on your hands. I suggest that a newbie to the process plan on the actual size of the back splash to be smaller than the gluing project so you can trim it up compensating for "hangover" laminate or crooked bonding. This happens to even the most experienced at times. You and hubby practice many dry runs before doing it.

o

Ok, I am giving this task up. I think I will be tiling. I do not feel confortable to use glue and mastic etc on a 8'x 30" (2 panel) surface...I have plenty of tiles and I want to do something fast and not too messy (I have 2 kids and a full time job). Thanks to all of you for the great answers!!!

o

It is laminate on cement board, use a construction adhesive like liquid nails and it will stay.

Unless someone will be walking on the wall.. One little dab at each corner would hold it and if you want to remove it later it would be easy.

Basement laundry room, I assume you are sure the wall doesn't leak and the wall is dry. For laminant panels you can even skip the cement board and use a dab of glue at each corner on the studs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here