Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drawers hanging low after roller replacement

Posted by mafs1482 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 23:33

I wasn't sure if this should go here or in kitchens. I can cross post it if someone thinks I can get an answer over there, but I decided to check here first.

Our kitchen drawers (original to our 1968 house) have left handed roller brackets mounted in the center of the back of the drawer, like those at the link except flipped. Right handed ones are apparently much more common, but I found some left handed ones at Lowes. They are, as far as I can see, exactly the same as the old ones.

I replaced the two brackets that had lost their plastic wheels, the screw holes lined up perfectly and all, but now the drawers are maybe half an inch lower than they were before. Everything is lined up right, rollers on the tracks, etc, they're just lower. You can see the drawer openings. Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on what I should do?

Here is a link that might be useful: Drawer roller brackets

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drawers hanging low after roller replacement

Is the back up one half inch from before or the same level as the front?
I hope you still have the old ones.

o

It seems like the whole drawer is raised. It's difficult to fit into the drawer opening and it slides, but not well. The old ones are broken; I have one (one was never there, at least not as far as I remember) but the plastic wheel is gone so it's not of much use.

o

Hi, Hold the wheel axeles from the old and new hanger together and see if they are the same length and the screw holes line up. I suspect the new ones are shorter and you will have to remount them on the drawer.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

o

The screw holes line up, but it looks like the wheel axles are longer. I compared them earlier, but I don't know how I missed this.

photo 020_zpsda3b7776.jpg

The top screw holes look to be in the same place.
 photo 021_zpsbf09785e.jpg

I'm going to measure the length difference and mount the new rollers that much higher on the drawer. Since there's not really a piece that curves under the drawer on the new rollers, I hope it won't be an issue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here