Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parczel

mold

parczel
12 years ago

my apartment has had numerous floods in the past in different areas of the apartment. We have noticed a couple different areas where we think there are mold growth and destroyed sheetrock. Our landlord sent the super and the super caulked new sheet rock on top of the sheet rock that we thought had mold on it, and threw out an old molding that had stuff growing on it, and replaced it with a new one. But the new one won't stick to the sheet rock because it's so deteriorated. We told the landlord that we didn't think the super was competent to deal with it, and that we are worried that there might be some kind of dangerous mold in the sheet rock. the landlord suggested that the super come by and do more work-- but we are afraid of the super messing around and disturbing it and putting our health in danger. after a lot of back and forth, the landlord sent a contractor he knows over to look at the apartment. the contractor said he saw no visible signs of mold growth. i feel very confused by this assessment. i attached a link to some photos of what we think is mold.

Comments (6)

• parczel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

don't know what happened to the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: mold photos

• ionized_gw
    12 years ago

It is really impossible to say what is mold-contaminated without seeing it or testing it. The super really did not do the right thing by covering the wall board with more wall board. If the contractor looked at the new wall board and saw no visible signs of mold growth, wooppee. He really can't say without seeing everything that was under water and that opportunity would have to be when the damaged sheet rock is torn out. The amount of mold that develops depends on how long material is at a particular level of moisture. Too much or too little and no mold grows.

What really needs to be done when a home is flooded is that the wet drywall needs to be removed, the studs inspected and preferably sprayed with a fungicide if they are not damaged. Any other organic material should be inspected and removed or treated.

I know it might be difficult, but you should consider moving.

• drywall_diy_guy
    12 years ago

Caulked another chunk of sheetrock over the old moldy one? Wow! That is about as bad as it gets.

Yes, you should either do what you have to do to get this fixed right, or move out. Living with mold has long term negative health consequences. I know a family that suffered all kinds of problems due to the mold in their home.

• C4MR1CH
    12 years ago

When you suspect that there is mold contamination, it is safest to call in an expert to remove them for you. Mold can transmit through the air and cause various health risks, so it is better not to clear them yourself.

• kevin45
    12 years ago

WHat you show in the pictures is definitely black mold and should be dealt with appropriately and professionally. I would get in touch with someone from the Health Department so you have some ammo to go back to the landlord with. The proper way to fix it, is to have whatever drywall and such removed, the moisture problem fixed, and new drywall put up. If the landlord starts to get too pricky about it, you may have to have a day in court.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"WHat you show in the pictures is definitely black mold..."

Color alone does not determine the type of mold.