Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cost to run a power feed underground

Posted by nealwin (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 07 at 22:11

I just fell off my chair when I received a quote from electrician for $1800 to run a new power feed to my septic tank. The run is 100' or so, 18" deep, about 6' would need to be dug by hand. 12/2 cable used. Connection to power panel in house.

I will get more quotes, but is there a rule of thumb for this? The cable machine will do most of the work for this job and I thought price would reflect that.

Am I out of touch?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cost to run a power feed underground

Call a few more guys. This might be the going price. The cable machine might be doing most of the work but part of the cost is the overhead to buy and maintain that machine. Customers pay for that.
Ron

o
RE: cost to run a power feed underground

I just paid $1K to have power and water run to my shed, across 100 ft of yard. This included a fuse panel in the shed, external and internal lighting in the shed, with separate switches for the two, and two-plug electric outlets in two places inside the shed and on two external walls. The water work included a no-freeze farm-style spigot. The conduit and piping were buried below frost depth on a bed of a foot of gravel, and topsoil/sod were replaced in the ditched areas. This is in the Washington DC suburbs.

Lynn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here