Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Second layer of shingles question

Posted by harold14370 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 23, 09 at 21:53

I want to put a second layer of shingles on my garage roof. Can someone explain the proper technique? In particular, I think it will be best to align the top of each shingle in the second layer with the bottom of the tab of a shingle in the first layer. This will allow them to lay as flat as possible. However the first course will be less than a tab height - maybe 4 inches high instead of 5 inches - because of the way the shingles overlap. Is that the way it is supposed to be done?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Second layer of shingles question

The new shingles need to be installed as indicated by the manufacturer's instructions and without regard to how the shingles below have been already applied.

o

Okay. Thanks.

o

Better off stripping it now. Way bigger pain later with 2 layers.

o

I agree with rjoh
Stripping down to decking installing ice sheild (if required) and new tar paper with single layer will last longer.
Not only is the overall roof lighter, imagine if the first layer buckles and ruins your new roof?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here