Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Had to remove part of my subfloor, now I have NO idea what to do

Posted by amateurplumber (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 21:43

Hey all...I am remodeling my shower and have run into a problem. The subfloor was rotted so I removed it and am adding a new subfloor. I bought the plywood, and planned to put a nailing edge on the left and right sides where the old plywood sticks out slightly to put the new plywood on.

HOWEVER, I am worried about the left and right walls. Since I've cut the plywood, I am worried that they dont have enough support. Underneath them is just an empty space; the joists to the left and right side of the left and right walls, respectively, are a few inches away. How can I support the walls better? Here is an image of what I'm talking about (I know the idiots cut the joist to fit the drain; I plan on sistering it): https://i.imgur.com/yXxcZZf.jpg

Thanks SO much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Had to remove part of my subfloor, now I have NO idea what to

How far away from the respective edges of the plywood are the next floor joist?

o

Here's what I'd do.

Cut a couple strips of 3/4" plywood, say four inches wide and not quite as long as the shower sides.

Using clamps, glue, and corrosion resistant deck screws, fasten the strips to the underside of the edges of the plywood subfloor, where you cut it. This creates a "lip" on either side.

Cut the new piece of subfloor plywood to fit and drop it in. Fasten it to the new plywood lip on either side with glue or construction adhesive and more screws, and of course screw it securely to the floor joists.

Frankly I don't think the support of the walls is compromised enough to be an issue, if at all, but the above steps will enable the load to be distributed much as it was before you cut out the rotted portion. I doubt they're load bearing walls.

Good luck.

This post was edited by airqual_guy on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 0:08

o

That has actually been recommended to me before and is what I think i will do. Thanks for the advice! Except I think I might actually glue and screw it to the base of the wall frame instead if I can.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here