Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rejoin carpet

Posted by jackie999 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 27, 10 at 21:29

I need to access my floor under my wall to wall carpet. I can see the original glued seams in the doorways. If I cut through these seams will I be able to rejoin with the rented seaming iron?
In other words, remove the old seaming tape and join with new?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rejoin carpet

It's tricky getting the old tape off clean. I doubt it would break the bank to get a carpet installer in to make the repair for you. One way to do it would be to leave the original seam alone and make a new cut back from it away from the original seam, cut and iron in a new seam. You will also need a knee kicker if you are going to d.i.y. this, my advise would be to have a pro re-seam and stretch it. Shouldn't take them but a few minutes for a minimal charge.

o

thanks sierraeast ...yep...we're going to call one of the carpet installers in the yellow pages and have him give us a quote. The carpet is old but it's in very good shape so it's not worth taking the chance on ruining it.
Thanks for the advice!

o

Before you hit the yellow pages, first ask friends, family, co-workers, etc for someone reputable that did decent work for them.

Floor covering stores typically have their own installers that they sub work out to as well. You can get referalls from them. Just make sure it's a reputable outfit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here