Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magnolialane_gw

Experience with Home Depot Roofs?

MagnoliaLane
18 years ago

We are first time homeowners and we need a new roof. We are just starting the process of obtaining quotes.

Does anyone have experience with Home Depot doing the installation? We are looking into the GAF Timberline Ultra.

We would like to go with a metal roof but fear the costs may be too prohibitive.

Any and all advice would be most appreciated, especially what to look out for. We do not want to be taken advantage of and we hear so many horror stories of people have to replace a roof in ten years.

Thanks y'all.

Comments (12)

• spambdamn_rich
    18 years ago

Home Depot hires third party contractors to do its jobs. If possible, I'd try to get references from anyone how gives you a quote. If they don't have references, move on to the next outfit.

I've seen mixed opinions from roofers about the quality of the GAF roofing offered at HD. I would think that I would specify 30 lb (double required thickness) felt to go under any new roof. I'd also specify plywood instead of OSB if any roof panels need to be replaced.

Spending a little extra on good materials will pay off in the long run - but don't put much faith in the roofing product warranties - they are only a general guide of how long the roof might last, but no guarantee. I'd rely more on references the roofer provides.

Have you considered adding solar electric panels to your home? Probably a good time to consider that is when the roof is being replaced. Also, consider any new features that would require penetrations - best time to do those is when a new roof goes on (like additional kitchen/bath vents, or skylights).

• Michael_H
    18 years ago

A new roof is a major investment and it requires some research on your part. Do not sign until you have done the work!

GAF products are very good products. HD is just ONE source of GAF products. All GAF products are produced with the same quality. There isn't a "second" rate shingle offered by GAF. They stand by all their products! The Ultra is a fine choice if you're seeking long term performance and reliability.

Ask for ShingleMate if you're using the GAF roof. It's a better underlayment than ordinary felt. Made by GAF.

Ventilation. This is a major component of any new roof. Attic ventilation preserves the life of the roof deck and other framing components; extends the performance of the roof shingle; keeps your cooling costs down. There will be a lot of roofers visiting you that have no clue about attic ventilation. Learn it on your own so that you can ask questions and have it installed properly. All shingle manufacturers require adequate and proper ventilation to validate the warranty! For a video, call 1-800-airvent.

Tear off or lay over existing roof? A tear off is the best way to go if you're home is an investment you're keeping. As Rich says, you can easily install new wood if needed, skylights, vent stacks, new chimney flashing, etc.

Who to hire? I would hire a local roofing company who has been in the business for at least 10 years and who proves to you that he/she knows roofing and ventilation and that they employ knowledgeable workers, are licensed, insured, and have a good credit rating.

Hire the roofing company who gives you a fair, firm price. One who drops to get the deal is NOT a good choice.

Michael

• mwkbear
    18 years ago

I replaced the roof on my house last year. I had HD come in as one of the bidders. Half of the salesman's pitch was showing me articles about unscrupulous roofing contractors who had ripped people off. Over and over again, he implied that if I didn't pick HD to do the work, I was in for trouble. As if there was not another decent, honest and competent contractor in the entire Boston area. Besides all of that, the HD quote was $10,000 MORE than either of the other quotes I got for roof replacement.

Here's what I suggest you do. All of the shingle manufactures, GAF, Owens Corning, and Certainteed, have programs for approved contractors. They make sure that the contractor has the proper training and sufficient financial resources and insurance to do the job properly. I found one local contractor on each manufacturer web site, had them come and give me estimates. Also, I cross-referenced these companies with the local BBB website.

I got a complete tear-off re-roofing job, with new gutter system as well, for about HALF of what HD wanted to charge me.

Here's a link to the GAF "Master Elite" contractor listing. Click on "Find a Contractor" link on the left navigation bar.

Here is a link that might be useful: GAF Master Elite Roofers

• Michael_H
    18 years ago

mwkbear,

excellent advice! I had completely forgotten about the Master Elite program.

Michael

• MagnoliaLane
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks y'all for the wealth of information. Thanks for the link to GAF Master Elite program, we will be using it. Mwkbear your experience with HD sounds similiar to what we went through. While the person from HD did say we could get quality work using another roofer he implied it would cost more and would not be as comprehensive. Also he downplayed the benefits of a metal roof, which raised some red flags with me. Mwkbear whom did you use?

Please keep the advice comming, it is most appreciated.

• mwkbear
    18 years ago

Magnolia,

Glad to help you out. In my case, I went with a contractor from the Owens-Corning website, because his bid was the cheapest, and he also happened to be the only one who was a full member in good standing with the local BBB. He did a good job for me, and although I did have some issues with the fascia boards and gutters he installed, he came right out and fixed all of it without any problems.

From my research on manufacturers, I don't think you would go wrong with any of the "big three" shingle manufacturers(GAF, Owens, Certainteed).

As far as HD, they are the most expensive game in town, with the possible exception of Sears (don't EVER use Sears for home improvement). They charge a huge price premium and justify it by using the scare-tactics.

We did briefly look at a metal roofing product from a company called Interlok. However, it was expensive, and since the asphalt roof will hopefully last at least 20 years, I didn't think it was necessary to pay a premium for the metal roof.

• garyphillips_sprintmail_com
    17 years ago

Most homeowners when shopping for a roof just miss so many details. They don't understand roofing, they don't read the fine print in the contracts and they have unrealistic expectations of what a proper roof should cost. Buying from Home Depot is a No Risk choice at any price.

Here are some examples:

Roofing contractors will slip items into their contracts such as:
    1. They have the right to substitute materials due to availability without having to inform the homeowner. Talk about a "free ticket" to install the cheapest products under the guise of "unavailability".
    2. Many contracts state, they are not responsible for damage to your home (driveway, siding, windows, decks, flowers, shrubs, trees etc.) when installing the roof.
    3. Many contracts state that if interior damage is caused by a leak in the roof after they install, they are not responsible.
    4. Many contracts state giving you a long warranty, but they fail to show the homeowner the actual "fine print" in the warranty. Not installing the shingles to manufacturer specifications and not bringing the house up to ventilation code are two examples.

Most homeowners look to price without knowledge of what a proper roof should cost. See Remodelers Magazine's 2005 cost vs. value report and get the correct answer before shopping. Knowledge empowers the homeowner. The roof on your home is NOT the item you should shop for the lowest price.

• punkitup
    17 years ago

"Posted by Gary on Thu, Aug 17, 06 at 9:56
    Buying from Home Depot is a No Risk choice at any price."

What the heck is this supposed mean?

• fixizin
    17 years ago

Yeah, I second that: What the heck IS that supposed to mean?

Home Depot is not going to do the roof, and is going to charge a "broker's fee" for lining up someone else to do it.

I have seen a simple water heater install "by HD" turn into a donnybrook.

My sister had a granite countertop installed "by" EXPO/HD, who of course subbed it out... job was 80% OK, 20% flubs, and those flubs weren't corrected by HD diligence, they were corrected by sis refusing to pay until correct!

Go with the above advice on x-ref'ing mfrs. certifications with BBB ratings, plus references. Big job, big money, big consequences... do the footwork. GOOD LUCK.

• anewroof_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

Home Depot has now installed three roofs on my house and did over $1,000.00 in damages. My ceiling was cracked on 3-29-06 and today is 8-28-06 it still is not fixed. Home Depot is full of promises until the contract is signed and they have your money. Visit my web site at http://www.freewebs.com/myroof

Here is a link that might be useful: My Home Depot roof 2005 - 2006

• fusion866
    17 years ago

HD just hires contractors who cant get work on there own. They call my business all the time and say they have a job for me on such and such a street if im intreasted, what a joke. We've done work for a manager of home cheapo he wouldnt even hire those guys. You are much better off hiring a contractor who is working for himself and feels responsible for their own work, not just looking for a paycheck at the end of the week. sorry i kinda vented here

• fixizin
    17 years ago

They don't call them Evil Orange for nothing!

Don, sounds like you really got the Keystone Cops for "managers" and the 3 Stooges for labor. Good luck, hope you avoid ulcers.

PS: Cracked ceilings from roof replacement is standard in FL, due to extreme weight of concrete tiles, and the fact that the original roof is installed BEFORE the interior sheetrock ceilings--i.e. trusses are pre-bowed slightly downward, sheetrock is attached, plastered/popcorned/finished... all is well... 20-25 years later, original roof is ripped up, trusses spring back up, ceilings crack in most rooms, especially near the center of truss spans.

BOTTOM LINE: Find out if this is common in your area. The fact that it didn't happen until the 3rd job is suspicious. Go ahead and slam them for it.