Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
izzie_gw

What to use?

izzie
13 years ago

I want to attach a bookcase like thing to the wall. Its about 50" h x 30" w and maybe about 12" deep. It will not stand up on its' own I know. I have to be able to move it out of the way when I hopefully get new carpet latter this year.

I was going to use drywall anchors, I think just two up at the top will be enough to hold it up against the wall. I will probably have use the anchors unless anyone else has a suggestion.

FYI, it's a cat climber/tower. Hopefully will be less ugly that the one we have that husband built. If I had my way I would get rid of ugly thing but cats would have a fit. (only 2 not a crazy cat lady) I am going to paint most the bookcase like structure. Only the shelves will be covered in carpet.

Comments (2)

• hendricus
    13 years ago

If it is 30" wide it is going to hit at least one stud, drive a screw in that. Drywall anchors will pull loose with constant tugging on the tower.

• larke
    13 years ago

What I did with my cat tower was tie a strong cord around one of the supporting posts about 2/3 of the way up, hook that onto a screwed-in hook on the wall and cover the cord with a piece of grooved plastic cut from the coil that you cover phone wires, etc. with (to keep cats from chewing on it). That way you can hook or unhook it whenever you want but it still stabilizes the thing.