Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cardboard paper rough on sheetrock

Posted by deodiaus (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 20:35

I am trying to get sand the cardboard covering the sheetrock, but it is giving me a rough texture. Is there any way I can change it. Should I cover it with shellac to harden it so that I can sand it smooth? Should I sand past the cardboard down to the plaster inside?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cardboard paper rough on sheetrock

You shouldn't be sanding into the paper surface at all. Going through it will be even worse and destroy the structural integrity of the sheetrock. What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

o

I am trying to get rid of the rough surface on top of the sheet rock. It looks like it was formed due to the moisture in the joint compound. Once it dried, it was sandable to a reasonably smooth surface. I was thinking of using shellac to fill in the minor texture, but the joint compound applied on a dry surface does the trick.

o

Here is what you want, need, not shellac

http://www.zinsser.co.nz/wtb-GARDZ.asp?SID=11&WID=27

Here is a link that might be useful: gardz

o

If the paper gets fuzzed up, wipe it down with a damp sponge, then roll on the primer soon thereafter. The remaining fuzz will be very slight and will sand off easily.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here