Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman chainsaw wont start

Posted by Ohioboy15 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 20:11

I have a 2 stroke craftsman chainsaw model 358350230 i bought used and it worked good for a few days then the gas line got cracked so we replaced that along with the air filter and it was ok for another 2-3 hours of run time but died after it ran out of gas and i cant get it back started again(always ran real hot too), spark plug is fine i even bought a rebuild kit for the carb and still nothing, tried starting fluid as well with no help(doesn't even attempt to fire) but after getting the carb back in today and trying to start it i noticed what looked like oil(or maybe gas?) dripping from the muffler and smoking. Ive looked in the cylinder already and its nice and shiny like it should be no scratches or anything. I have pretty good skills with this stuff but im stumped...anyone can help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman chainsaw wont start

In this kind of weather I've found cussing and crying realy helps while pulling on a start rope. Ha Ha Ha
No seriously,I was only offering empathy. Nothing sucks more than a stuborn rope start and 2 cycles are tough to troubleshoot. I would make certain the spark is strong and consistant. If not, disconnect the kill wire as close to coil as possiable in order to eleminate cracked or abraded insulation, From there it's time to open up the ignition. If the spark looks good , that leaves fuel/air because there is no way to lose crank and valve timing and ignition would have to be loose to be off time and that can hardly happen without shorting out and killing spark altogeather. Starting fluid should at least make it snort pretty good so tell us why you think it has been running hot. You are useing 2 stroke oil and clean gas at correct ratio,,,,,right? Double check your math and/or owner's manual. Reed valves oten break so don't overlook that possiability.

o

Sounds like there is no spark---the coil/electronic ignition is bad.

o

Sounds like there is no spark---the coil/electronic ignition is bad.

o

Well spark was a nice blue which means its good(if i remember right) and gas/oil mix is correct, on the saw itself it says 1/2 pint of oil per gallon of gas, 1/2 pint is 8oz so the ratio is 16:1 gas is brand new too. Im going out tomorrow and getting a new spark plug just incase and will report back

o

Ok, if the new spark plug does not work, try looking at the key that mates the flywheel to the crankshaft---that sets the initial timing and can be off if bent or swedged.

o

When you ran it out of gas gunk may have entered the carb.

This Ethanol in fuel today is killing older 2 strokes regularly. The small engine repair shop down the road is doing a booming business like never before.

o

Will be checking flywheel today, i know there isnt anything wrong with the carb because i rebuilt the whole thing

o

"i know there isnt anything wrong with the carb because i rebuilt the whole thing"

Famous last words that I haven't heard since the old days, before when electronic injection became so widespread in cars.

o

Ok well went ahead got a new spark plug and started tear down, not sure if this is how the piston and cylinder is suppose to look like or not. Checking flywheel after this post...

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/1austin112/cylinder1_zps01f76188.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/1austin112/cylinder2_zpsc892a1ef.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/1austin112/piston1_zps4fa89188.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/1austin112/piston2_zps8efa7602.jpg

o

Looking at that piston---the saw is junk. Not worth fixing as the jug/piston will cost more than a new saw.

And I am surprised the piston did not seize in the bore---that is really damaged.

o

Yep thought so, guess my journey is done

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here