Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cruzinpattis

HELP! Installing Glass Shelves in Cabinet

cruzinpattis
9 years ago

I took out all the shelves and glassware to clean out of 2 glass cabinets.
One cabinet all three shelves went back perfectly.

Second cabinet, not one shelf will go in. I tried tilting, sliding... nothing works. Shelves won't go back onto the pegs correctly.
I removed the glass cabinet door, thinking that would work. Nope!
Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

Picture of cabinet with shelves in it...

Comments (7)

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Switch the shelf location to the correct cabinet.

• cruzinpattis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I tried that...several times...no can do!

• millworkman
    9 years ago

If they came out hey have to go back in. So snooyb is correct, either you are attempting to put them in the wrong cabinet or trying to put them in in the wrong orientation. No other explanation.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

You have six pieces of glass. Label each one and try each one first in the bottom shelf, then turn it around front to back and try that, then with the same piece of glass, do the same with the middle shelf, then the top.

But first, I would stack all six pieces of shelving and find out if you can see any distinctions in size.

Did the second cabinet get exposed to heavy moisture that could cause the wood to expand? Were these shelves hard to remove?

• cruzinpattis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Graywings
    They might have expanded...I tried again, this time I tapped the the glass and sure enough got them in... Phew! Won't remove to clean again... Lesson learned!

FYI
    While removing I made sure which one went where..top, middle, bottom, right / left cabinet.

• talley_sue_nyc
    9 years ago

Could it be that one of the shelf clips was the problem?

Did you remove the clips? If so, maybe one of the clips wasn't sliding into the hole far enough.

If you didn't remove them, I wonder if one of the clips got bumped as you took the shelf out, put a different shelf back in, etc., and got tipped a little, so it was sticking out.

Because it's the clip that would be in the way.

If you hadn't gotten it in already, I would have suggested lightly tapping each of the clips with a hammer to seat it more deeply into the hole, and more snugly up against the cabinet side.

• ccss2
    3 years ago

So.. have a tall Rectangular curio cabinet w curved top & a door. all shelves same size (grooved edge on back for plates) so def know which way they go in. Have moved several times & never had any issue putting shelves back in. This time tilted one up too far & hit shelf above & it came crashing down. had another shelf made. Now trying to put the top shelf in w one of the originals (all have heavy duty coated pegs to sit on. ) I know I have to tilt them a little to go in but can’t seem to fit it in the top one Seems like the curve at inside top is now in the way??? Really nervous about doing this again. One of the shelves further down is stationary, can’t adjust the height - sits on a sml wood trim ledge. Do I put them in from the top down or bottom up? Help!!