Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Front door bottom weather strip problems

Posted by Bar_Oso-1 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 19:59

Please give some suggestions for my old (lovely) front door.

I have an old 42" solid oak (1-5/8" thick) w/glass pane inserts-front door that opens out. The old bottom metal weather strip cap with a vinyl insert was rubbing & sticking in the middle of the threshold-preventing the door from opening and shutting properly. The space between the door and the threshold has become uneven as the house has settled (blt. 1918). I would like to replace the metal door cap with some type of sweep. What kind or combinations would you recommend? The bottom sweep with "nylon bristles" has been suggested to put on one side and a bottom sweep with a vinyl fin put on the other side of the door. The sweeps say they are for doors that open out, but usually front doors open in as does mine. Also I'm wondering about clearance of the small rug inside-the old metal one cleared it. Rain gets blown agains the door in winter storms, so I am concerned about water coming under the door.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Front door bottom weather strip problems

"I have an old 42" solid oak (1-5/8" thick) w/glass pane inserts-front door that opens out."

"The sweeps say they are for doors that open out, but usually front doors open in as does mine."

So, which is it?

o

Oops-apology: My posting should have read "OPENS IN".
"I have an old 42" solid oak (1-5/8" thick) w/glass pane inserts-front door that opens IN".
Hope you have some suggestions now, snooyb,
And thank you for noticing.

o

The best and longest-lasting is a bronze threshold and interlocking J-hook seal.
Like #70 or 80 here: http://www.zerointernational.com/catalogpage.aspx?pageID=4
And the corresponding hook #23B.
It is kind of expensive, but it will last several lifetimes.
Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Metal thresolds.

o

If your floor is crowned at any point in the threshold you'll need to correct that first.

o

If your floor is crowned at any point in the threshold you'll need to correct that first.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here