Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rust at the weed screed

Posted by crosenow (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 24, 06 at 19:54

I am in the process of purchasing a new home. we had the inspection done last weekend. the inspector found excesive rust at the weed screed. Some of the houses in the neighborhood had problems with the flashing on the roof. What can cause rusted weed screed and how can I amke sure there is not a problem with the flashing? Thanks so much
CR

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rust at the weed screed

I had never heard of "weed screed" so I googled it. Well it seems to have something to do with marijuana. Hum! Seriously I am only sending this because I have never heard of a weed screed on a home. Hope to be enlightened.

o

Its weep screed.

o

Thanks for the correction. The problem is, I never heard of "weep screed" either!

o

Weep screeds are long perforated metal strips that are installed along the bottom of exterior walls to allow any moisture that penetrates the siding (but not the black paper or other moisture barrier) to escape by dripping out the bottom. I don't know the construction of your house, but it's unlikely that defective flashing on the roof would cause excessive moisture to get into the exterior walls. There are a few possibilities. Depending on the type of siding you have and your climate, it's normal to have some moisture get through the siding (especially stucco) so the weep screed is doing it's job if some is coming out. Rust means either that it got scratched or the finish was defective or maybe there is an opening somewhere on the wall that is causing excessive moisture to penetrate. Is the rust localized or is it all along the screed?

o

http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/91q2/contract.html
http://www.ownerbuildersolutions.com/glossary_index.htm

o
RE: rust at the weeP screed

Rusted weep screeds could be caused by a number of different scenarios. There are some weep screeds on the market today that are called "economy" weep screeds. These type of weep screeds may not be 26 gauge or have a G60 galvanized coating. Lawn sprinklers may be too close to the weep screed thus causing undue water to spray up at the weep screed. Short eaves can also cause water run off to splash too close to the foundation and thus keep the weep screed wet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here