Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbx2_gw

Caulk for specific application?

pbx2_gw
10 years ago

This is our first house & we want to baby it with TLC as much as possible in our attempts to provide a tight house & prevent any moisture issues.

What are good caulk types/brand for these specific application:?

1) Window trims - non bathroom
2) Window trims - bathroom
3) Outdoor trim around porch overhang
4) Bathroom vanities
5) Bathroom shower
6) Bathroom tubs

Appreciate any feedback.

Comments (8)

• randy427
    10 years ago

I'd recommend Alex Plus acrylic latex caulk from DAP for most DIY projects. It's paintable, durable, non-hardening, has a long work time and is readily available.
    For sinks, tubs, showers, etc, I use DAP Tub, Tile and Basin caulk. It's non-paintable, but has the other attrributes above.

• User
    10 years ago

randy's choices are close---I use GE kitchen/Bath caulk.

As important as the type of caulk is the prep for applying the caulk. Do a LOT of research on specific directions/recommendations for applying non paintable caulk---simply because if the surfaces are not absolutely pristine and clean, that type of caulk will not adhere. Very often, those surfaces need more prep than the simple 'clean and dry' mentioned on the label.

Scrubbing with alcohol/thinner/weak acid is necessary in some cases.

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both.
    I will do some more research on the prep portion of it.

I've also seen silicone & transparent caulk - when are those applicable to use?

• randy427
    10 years ago

Paint won't adhere to Silicone caulk. Silicone transparent is used when colored caulk isn't desired.

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got it now.
    Thanks randy427.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Polyseamaeal, all the properties of the dap product, for a longer period of time, all paintable, excellent adhesion and tools with your dampened finger.

Silicone work best 20ft deep in a land-fill, unopened.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Silicone has poor adhesion to porous materials; it works best on clean non-porous surfaces like metals and tile. It also cannot withstand immersion in water for long. But it is very stretchy.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

quote)Silicone work best 20ft deep in a land-fill, unopened.(quote)

As a painter, I can appreciate that remark!