Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caulk for specific application?

Posted by pbx2 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 19:40

This is our first house & we want to baby it with TLC as much as possible in our attempts to provide a tight house & prevent any moisture issues.

What are good caulk types/brand for these specific application:?

1) Window trims - non bathroom
2) Window trims - bathroom
3) Outdoor trim around porch overhang
4) Bathroom vanities
5) Bathroom shower
6) Bathroom tubs

Appreciate any feedback.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caulk for specific application?

I'd recommend Alex Plus acrylic latex caulk from DAP for most DIY projects. It's paintable, durable, non-hardening, has a long work time and is readily available.
For sinks, tubs, showers, etc, I use DAP Tub, Tile and Basin caulk. It's non-paintable, but has the other attrributes above.

o

randy's choices are close---I use GE kitchen/Bath caulk.

As important as the type of caulk is the prep for applying the caulk. Do a LOT of research on specific directions/recommendations for applying non paintable caulk---simply because if the surfaces are not absolutely pristine and clean, that type of caulk will not adhere. Very often, those surfaces need more prep than the simple 'clean and dry' mentioned on the label.

Scrubbing with alcohol/thinner/weak acid is necessary in some cases.

o

Thank you both.
I will do some more research on the prep portion of it.

I've also seen silicone & transparent caulk - when are those applicable to use?

o

Paint won't adhere to Silicone caulk. Silicone transparent is used when colored caulk isn't desired.

o

Got it now.
Thanks randy427.

o

Polyseamaeal, all the properties of the dap product, for a longer period of time, all paintable, excellent adhesion and tools with your dampened finger.

Silicone work best 20ft deep in a land-fill, unopened.

o

Silicone has poor adhesion to porous materials; it works best on clean non-porous surfaces like metals and tile. It also cannot withstand immersion in water for long. But it is very stretchy.

o

quote)Silicone work best 20ft deep in a land-fill, unopened.(quote)

As a painter, I can appreciate that remark!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here