Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

New Door Frame for an Old Door.

I recently moved into a '70's modular bungalow. The front door sticks like crazy. At first I thought it was the cold; then I thought it was the push-button lock. Now that the weather is ok to work with the front door open, I can see the the door jamb is a bunch of cobbled together bits and pieces with out of size lock/knob holes and through holes that are all chewed up. There is nothing really wrong with the door: it is a solid wood frame with a full thermal lite.

So, am I crazy to think that I can replace the whole jamb and keep the door, or would it be better for my sanity to just buy a new door, and fit it in.....I am an OK structural carpenter, my fine strokes need help, but I have installed doors and windows before that were within 1/8 to 1/4" of plumb/level.

Many thanks - this one have me worried.

Nancy.

Comments (4)

• Michael
    15 years ago

I order jambs for old wood doors a few times a year.

They need to know the hinge locations. Start by measuring from the top of the slab to the top of first, second and third hinge. Measure the lockset bore on center from the top down. Include the deadbolt bore if applicable or add one at this time.

Now measure the overall width and height of the slab. Now measure the thickness of the slab. Record all information.

Call a full service lumber yard and ask for the millwork department. They will know how to assist you from there. They will ask you about hinge style and radius. Be ready to give them a visual appraisal.

Michael

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

K, so if I take some digital photos, along with good measurements, I might not go crazy?? I like this plan....may I check back in for further reference??

Thanks, Nancy.

• homemasons
    15 years ago

In my experience, it is quite difficult to impossible to have everything pre-machined by the lumberyard (especially the hinge mortises, which should "hit" within less than 1/32" to fit properly), and expect it to come-out right and ready to "throw into the hole".

My advice would be to order the jamb stock, fit it in, and do the lockset drilling and hinge mortising in-place to assure accuracy. Such field prep and hanging might be done by a very experienced and capable homeowner; otherwise you may wish to call on a pro. The tolerances for properly installing and prepping a jamb would be less than 1/16".

Mason

Here is a link that might be useful: Ask Mason

• Michael
    15 years ago

I've never had a problem. I guess who's you use.

Just pre-finished and hung 15 interior doors in a 1947 house..perfect fits!

Michael