Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Add gutters to 30 yr old house - Dallas ?

Posted by nic3456 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 18:34

I am getting ready to purchase a nearly 30 year old house in the Dallas area. The inspector mentioned that it would be a good idea to add them so I could control the flow of water. I was wondering if it woul make sense to add them on such an old home if it's been this long without them? The house does have minor foundation issues but the belief is that has been caused by a lack of sprinkler or soaker hoses. Not sure it makes a difference but it a two story house, 75% wood siding/25% brick.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Add gutters to 30 yr old house - Dallas ?

What are your minor foundation issues? Have you had paint peeling or staining problems? Any time water accumulates against the foundation, it can cause problems.

o

Such an old home? My home was built in 1959. If you have trees around your old home, be sure to have screens installed to keep leaves out. May have problems getting anyone to work on such an old home.

o

The foundation issues were related to some tilting. I realize 30yo isn't old for a lot of people, but its the oldest I've ever owned :) I just wasn't sure if there was a certain age point at which it wouldn't make a difference by adding gutters.

o

Do the neighboring houses have gutters? Home much does the roof overhang? Just wondering.

o

Where I live you can't find a house without gutters. If it rains and the water is falling off your roof next to the foundation instead of being diverted away from the house, you could probably benefit from adding gutters. 5" gutters are ideal if you are going to do it. Pics are always helpful so we can see the house. I'm surprised a house built in the 1980's didn't have them.

o

Another thing to consider, is you'll need to clean out those gutters yearly if there are trees nearby. If you don't, it's worse than not having them at all when they clog. You can install gutter guard systems, but that will add to the cost of the installation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here