Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much should a new 120 brick chimney cost?

Posted by carriedaway212 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 25, 09 at 18:10

I read all of the information on tuckpointing and brick repair on chimney, and thank everyone... Ok, so today I called on an advertiser from Valpack to clean my chimney for $29.99 because it seemed like a good deal. I have a 100 year old house that I bought as a "fixer upper" 10 years ago in New Jersey, and I have NEVER had a single leak or problem with my chimney. I had my chimney cleaned last year, and nobody said I needed a new chimney....The guy cleaned my gutters (for $50), but said I needed to "knock down" my chimney and get a new one, which he could do for $2000. He told me I have a 120 brick chimney. Even at $2 per brick, that's $240, plus you figure $200 for mortar, and maybe an extra $60 for cememnt... That's about $500... Should it REALLY cost $2000? Is $1500 reasonable for the "work"? How many hours should it take to do this job properly? I mean, is this a "bait and switch"? Are they charging me more because I am a girl? In this economy, do I really need to do ANYTHING?? ANY help from ANY knowledgeable souce would be GREATLY appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much should a new 120 brick chimney cost?

Why would you even listen to some clown who cleans gutters? If you want advice that makes sense, call in a few masons who do chimney work and get their opinion.
Try posting a few pictures from different angles and distances. Maybe we can give you at least some guidance.
Ron

o

Sounds to me that the fellow is trying to sucker you in to a job that probably doesn't need to be done at all. IMO, anyone who advertises in Val Pack or any other free source obviously needs some work...and if they are a good tradesman, they don't need to advertise at all because they stay busy through word of mouth recommendations.

Please do as Ron suggests and post pictures.

o

Why are you getting your chimney cleaned every year? In most cases this is overkill by far. Get an experienced chimney service to look it over, not someone who does gutters and everything else.

BTW, Val-Pak is not free to those advertizing their businesses.

o

What makes u think lugging up all those brick,setting up scaffolding and risking your life on a dangerous chimney job isnt worth that amount?
Try it yourself and when u break your legs and do a crap job, email me my apology with flowers buddy.
-Fred
Chimney builder 20 yrs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here