Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carriedaway212

How much should a new 120 brick chimney cost?

carriedaway212
14 years ago

I read all of the information on tuckpointing and brick repair on chimney, and thank everyone... Ok, so today I called on an advertiser from Valpack to clean my chimney for $29.99 because it seemed like a good deal. I have a 100 year old house that I bought as a "fixer upper" 10 years ago in New Jersey, and I have NEVER had a single leak or problem with my chimney. I had my chimney cleaned last year, and nobody said I needed a new chimney....The guy cleaned my gutters (for $50), but said I needed to "knock down" my chimney and get a new one, which he could do for $2000. He told me I have a 120 brick chimney. Even at $2 per brick, that's $240, plus you figure $200 for mortar, and maybe an extra $60 for cememnt... That's about $500... Should it REALLY cost $2000? Is $1500 reasonable for the "work"? How many hours should it take to do this job properly? I mean, is this a "bait and switch"? Are they charging me more because I am a girl? In this economy, do I really need to do ANYTHING?? ANY help from ANY knowledgeable souce would be GREATLY appreciated!

Comments (4)