Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinyl siding - Do I need to fix this?

Posted by littleriverbb (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 25, 11 at 17:04

Was outside this morning cleaning some dirt and algae off window trim and siding and realized that the siding on the side of the house doesn't seem right... instead of ending with a "clean" edge at the bottom, it is installed into J-trim. I suspect this was one of the previous homeowner's "handiwork" and was done to compensate for the fact that the house/ground has settled over time and things didn't line up, but now I am wondering what I can do. It seems to catch dirt, leaves, and stones, and you can see from the photos that someone ran the cable lines in it, so I doubt that the water drains from it very easily. I'm figuring I should at least pull the cables out and secure them outside of the trim, but do I need to try to fix this in some other way or can it stay like this? Thanks for your thoughts.

West wall siding

Siding near cable

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinyl siding - Do I need to fix this?

Seems like the J-mold is the typical thing to do when you have cut the bottom off the last section of siding.It gives the cut edge something to sit in. The bigger issue I see is that ground level at that point seems to high. I don't know where your sill plate is in relation to the siding but it should be about 8" above ground level.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here