Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bubbles in drywall

Posted by tinan (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 16:31

I recently noticed this wave-like bubbling in the drywall in our powder room. This is a townhouse and none of our plumbing goes through this wall, to my knowledge. This wall is shared with a neighbor's unit. If there is water in the wall, I need to notify the HOA right away. However it doesn't feel damp and I can't find any other signs of water.

I am sure it was not like this when I painted a few months ago. When I feel it, it just feels dry and like air bubbles under the paper layer.

Is there anything else that could explain this besides water? If it's likely water I will need to get the HOA to have someone come in and open up the wall :(

This post was edited by tinan on Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 16:34

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bubbles in drywall

It looks like water to me. Maybe a roofing/flashing leak if there's no water pipes there in the other unit.

o

Darn it probably happened a few months ago during rains and I didn't notice. That wall is a transition from our 2 story portion of the building to a 1 story portion, there could be a leak going down that wall - better get them to fix it before the rains start up again in winter.

o

I'm having a difficult time seeing water damage there. Reason? Water flows down---not in horizontal layers.

Try using a hat pin---the long straight pins with a ball handle end. Poke it through a point above the bubbles and then through the center of a bubble. If there is water damage, the resistance will be less.

If both areas feel the same, I'd bet the paint bubbled the drywall or the previous layer of paint.

o

handymac, walls have been painted many times built 1980 why would my paint (quality BM) suddenly bubble it now?

Also is it possible for paint to cause drywall to bubble months after it is painted?

This post was edited by tinan on Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 10:24

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here