Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
f1668065

What's wrong with this stucco?

f1668065
10 years ago

The crew came back and added this corner portion in one day after doing the other areas over a period of 2 days. When this area gets wet, I can see these cob web like marks all over the place. This doesn't happen on the other area to the right, which was done prior.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Comments (8)

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

The reason is because of excess moisture and having sc rubbed it out further.

• f1668065
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!
    Too much moisture from when it was mixed or since applied?
    What does "having sc rubbed it out further" mean?

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

"having sc rubbed it out further"

Should have read, not having scrubbed it out further." IE, feathering it in.

The excessive moisture was in the mixing process and also caused the color match above the window, in the photo, unless that is a shadow line.

• f1668065
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

The stucco guy sort of said the same thing about excess moisture but blamed it on high humidity. He also told me the cobwebs ARE cracks BUT nothing is loose so, he caulked a couple of areas and said once I prime & paint it, it'll be fine.

As for the color above the window, check out this image and you can see a horizontal line about a foot down from the top all around the corner. In person, it actually looks like there's a bit of a ridge where the line is, which appears higher than stucco below it. Almost like they started another coat at the top but stopped at that line.

That said...
    It's now been over 60 days and I still have not primed or painted the new stucco. We have had a lot of rain so the stucco guy is on my back again to at least prime the new stucco areas because they may start cracking or holding water in between the old & new coats of stucco.

How long can I leave the new stucco bare without risking harm to my home?
    If I prime these new stucco areas now, am I just going to have re-pressure wash (and re-prime?) these areas in Autumn when I paint the entire house?

Thanks

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Humidity affects those who are "applying" the product, not the product.
    The reason that he is so adamant about priming and painting, is that water will infiltrate the cracks and cause a loss of adhesion.
    Your stucco appears to be colored, some color other than cement or concrete which would be close to a natural concrete walkway.
    Were it I, he would stop using the "painting" as an excuse to cover up his shoddy workmanship and create a uniform finish, for you to continue from as he should have.
    In fact, I would have him correct the deficiencies because stucco is a lime based product you've decided to apply brush coat as the color.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

No counter flashing from between the siding and the stucco?

• f1668065
    Original Author
    10 years ago

>>>I would have him correct the deficiencies because stucco is a lime based product you've decided to apply brush coat as the color.

Thanks!
    I had him over again and he's also adamant about not doing anything other than the caulking he did earlier as long as it's not loose.

Not sure what you mean by "you've decided to apply brush coat as the color." The stucco is not colored, it all looks like a bare concrete or cement. The stucco in the picture is wet...maybe that's what looks colored. FWIW, I intend on painting the entire house a new color when the hurricane & rainy season ends.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

So after he caulks it, and you paint it and the caulking shrinks and cracks and leaks and the stucco begins to seperate and parg off......................then what!