Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fixing water damage to garage ceiling (x-post)

Posted by weedyacres (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 16:03

X-post to Remodeling before I remembered this forum.

Our house is under contract to sell. Inspection was last Friday (we were away for the week/weekend). Inspector turned on taps to fill whirlpool tub in master bath and left room while filling. Went down to the garage, which is directly under the bathroom. Got distracted with buyers looking at something. Noticed some water drips from the ceiling, realized his bonehead move, and ran back upstairs to find tub overflowing.

He apologized profusely through our agent, said he'd fix the damage. They wiped up the water in the bathroom, and aside from some damp carpet in the closet and recaulking of a few baseboards where they pulled away from the wall a bit, the bathroom seems ok.

The garage ceiling has easily half a dozen leak spots, over a ~10'x10' area. The inspector set a fan pointing up to dry the ceiling out, and I think just intends to paint the stains on the ceiling.

My question: Given that there's so much (widespread) water damage, no air flow to the joists (unlike say an attic that had a roof leak), and insulation between the joists, shouldn't the ceiling come down, the joists be dried out, and new insulation and drywall be put up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fixing water damage to garage ceiling (x-post)

Yes, but ANY sheet rock that got wet should be replaced---that includes that behind the baseboards.

And new insulation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here