Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gap between concrete driveway and stairs

Posted by leakinohno (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 15:56

We've got a chunk missing at the bottom of our stairs going up to the main level of our townhouse. There is a gap between the base of the stairs and the driveway. What can I use to fill the gap? The missing chunk is about 2" wide. The gap is about 3/4" at one end and 1" at the other. It seems soil has washed out beneath the base of the stairs, but so far they haven't sunk.

Should I call a mudjacker or just try stuffing it with some roofing tar paper rolled up? At our previous home I've tried the tarry, asphalt roll, about 3" wide and 1/2" thick, but I think it wouldn't be the right thickness and it wouldn't uniformly fill the gap.

Thank you for your opinion.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gap between concrete driveway and stairs

It would seem that the driveway/sidewalk has settled relative to the stairs...

This post was edited by saltidawg on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 18:05

o

Looks to me like the sidewalk has sunk too. See the straight line on the front of the stairs a half inch up? That's where the sidewalk used to be. I'd normally just use regular clear caulk on something like that but you have a big gap. Maybe roofing sealant? Might be big enough just to mix a small bag of concrete. Caulk collects dirt over time so it starts to blend in but the color isn't ever a perfect match.

o

Concrete crack filler, in a tube like caulk.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I might try mixing some cement, but with nothing to adhere to below (can see open space) I'm not sure how long it will last. The gap is definitely too wide for any type of caulk/sealant without first using some kind of filler.

To clarify, it is the driveway, not the sidewalk that abuts to the bottom of the stairs. I'm hoping we don't have to replace the whole 20x8 foot section of the driveway.

o

Concrete crack filler, as suggested, has aggregate in it, can be tooled, stacks well and skins quickly.

And can be colored.

o

"I might try mixing some cement…"

leakinohno:

If you live where there is a freeze thaw cycle, this is the worst thing you can do. If you fill the gap with cement, you've just narrowed the gap ice has to fill and expand to continue the damage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here