Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickweedatl

Door bottom for exterior door

chickweedatl
11 years ago

In our den, we have a french door that opens inward and leads out onto the patio. The weatherstripping on the original door is worn out and a driving rain now brings water into our den and has started to warp the hardwoods.

The door is metal and the existing door bottom has a plastic flange that snaps into the hollow space in the bottom of the door. I can't find anything like the existing door bottom at Ace/HD/Lowes.

What are my options?

Comments (13)

• handymac
    11 years ago

Install an exterior grade threshhold under the existing doors.

You will have to cut out the floor/surface to install a new threshhold. A metal one will be more maintenance free.

The applicable models are available at home improvement/hardware stores.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lowes

• snoonyb
    11 years ago

Try this site. if they don't have it, it's probably not made.
    http://pemko.com/

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Pemko will not have door bottoms or sweeps for residential steel doors. Do you happen to know the brand name of the steel door as they all are different. Maybe post a picture of the sweep or how it mounts to the door. Or as handymac states change out the sill and use a different type of sweep that will work with the new saddle.

• chickweedatl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a picture of the door bottom. The closest corners are bent down from wear and tear... but you can kind of make out how it fits into the door by looking at the left (outside edge).

• chickweedatl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I can't figure out the door manufacturer. This is the only thing I can find on the door. Does this tell me anything that would point to the manufacturer?

• snoonyb
    11 years ago

" millworkman" The difference between door hardware for a residential door and an aluminum, steel, fiberglass or wood commercial door is the method of attachment and in the 35+ years I've been doing this I have never had a problem with application.
    It would appear that you have a couple of choices; Remove the existing door bottom, measure the distance between the threshold and door to determine if there will be enough adjustment, and install a combination door bottom and drip cap.
    These are available in two configurations, either full wrap around or universal.
    Free floating these are 5/8 of an thick.
    If you find it necessary to use a threshold to makeup some of the distance.These are available in several widths as well, from dead flat to "high rug."
    Some of the products I've mentioned may not be readily available from your big box's, however they can be ordered.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Or you can call this company and purchse this type of door sweep. It attaches to the face of the door with screws and basically will replace what you have now. This is why I was asking the brand but I have sold this particular type of sweep many times over as a replacement for the slide on or bottom attached sweeps. They were originally made by Benchmark for their residential doors but will work on any type of wood, , metal or fiberglass door.

Here is a link that might be useful: Benchmark Door Sweep

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

I hate a mfg. that doesn't have the stones to put their name on their product.

• annzgw
    11 years ago

That Benchmark door sweep looks like what I need on a leaking garage man-door. Does the vertical flange go on the interior or exterior of a door that opens 'in'?

• millworkman
    11 years ago

It would screw to the face of the exterior of the door. The holes are predrilled as slots so there is some adjust-ability.

• mattressstx
    11 years ago

Hi...I think you should go for installing a new threshold. It will help you to solve your problem. By the way, the best option is to all a professional as it reduces the chance of re-occurring the problem.

• chickweedatl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just ordered the benchmark sweep. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the input.

• annzgw
    11 years ago

I did some more searching and found the site below. I missed that you have a 'snap-in' and this site carries some. They also have good info on fitting sweeps.

Basic info: http://www.allaboutdoors.com/article_info.php?articles_id=29

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweeps