Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
storm door won't latch

Posted by lexie76 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 15:19

My Larson storm door is not latching. Lowes installed it in Dec 2012 and it was working fine until about 2 months ago I noticed that it was not latching. Up until 2 months ago the door was slammed on me. I was fine with it because it closed immediately after I went inside. Now I have to pull from the inside or push hard from the outside to get it to latch. http://www.larsondoors.com/storm_doors/products/349_20

I am not at all handy and was watching youtube videos for a quick fix, including a video on Larson's website. I adjusted the top closer counter clock wise and it did not do anything. I took the bottom closer off and turned the top closer and nothing. The hole on the closer would not align with the hole on the rods!!! What have I done?? I am still able to lock the door for now but need to get this fixed Do I need to drill new holes to get the closer and rod to align? Is this the reason the door won't automatically latch? The nail used to hold the closer and rod together is not bend. Not sure if this means anything. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: storm door won't latch

Here's a couple of things you can try. It's not uncommon for storm doors to get caught in a heavy wind that blows them open and bend the frame of the door and/or damages the closer(s).

Disconnect both closers. Does the door function properly, without the closers?

Reconnect both closers. Completely unscrew the little plastic cap on the end of each. Does the door function properly?

If so, with both caps removed. Rapidly open and close the door a dozen times. Put the caps back on and adjust the closer speed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here