Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Working Skeleton Keys - Where To Get Replacements

Posted by mbluetyphoon (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 9, 11 at 14:54

Where can I replacement skeleton keys that work on doors that use this type of key?

Thank you for your time and attention to my message.

Sincerely,

mbluetyphoon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Working Skeleton Keys - Where To Get Replacements

There are hundreds upon thousands of possible shapes for skeleton keys, in fact, they are more complex than the flat keys we use today. The chances of ever finding the right one is slim to none.

Take the lock to a locksmith and they can custom make a key to fit your lock.

o
RE: Working Skeleton Keys - Where To Get Replacements

A "skeleton' key is actually a very specific style of warded key.

By cutting away as much of the key as possible ('skeletonized") it misses the wards that are intended to make the key shape distinctive and it can then fit and operate multiple locks.

Local hardware stores often have skeleton keys that match the ones in use in the area.

You still might need to buy a few to find one that works, or learn how to modify one to get it to work.

A decent locksmith can make a warded key that will operate, though many will try to sell you a new (modern) lock.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here