Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why was my house built with such a shallow roof?

Posted by tlbean2004 (tlbean2004@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 14:54

My house has the most shallow pitch on the street. It was biult in 1960. There are many other similiar looking homes like mine (subdivision) that have the same square footage and same layout except they all have more steeply pitched roofs.

Why would this be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why was my house built with such a shallow roof?

Lower pitch == cheaper. (Though only marginally less material in this case. It does look a little like someone sat on it.

Maybe they were going for Frank Lloyd Wright prairie style.

o

Are you in the VERY HOT south? Looks like your eaves extend quite far out over the walls providing shade. This is readily accomplishable with a low pitch roof and snow loading would not be an issue in those areas.

o

Do you live in an area prone to hurricanes?

If so, your local building code may require shallow roofs.

Why?

Because the more shallow the roof the less likely it is to blow off and be demolished in a high wind event,

o

"Because the more shallow the roof the less likely it is to blow off and be demolished in a high wind event."

manhattan42:

Not exactly. Think of why an airplane flies; a wing doesn't have much pitch. According to this architect, an intermediate pitch and a gable shape is best:

Here is a link that might be useful: Roof

o

"Because the more shallow the roof the less likely it is to blow off and be demolished in a high wind event,"

No worry, the massive tree in the backyard will fall and hold the roof down.

o

manhattan42:
so you figure the building code for this house was different from that in effect for the neighboring house to the right?

o

manhattan42:

These homes were built before the wind-related codes were enacted and enforced. 50s-60s or so.

When I bought in Florida two years ago, I insisted on a house built after Andrew and the codes were updated again in 2004. They are crazy strict here.

o

Don't know why but at least if you need to reroof not likely to slide off that 1. Steep roofs are no fun!!

o

That can't be the same roof that came with the house can it?!? Maybe when a new roof was needed, they lowered it...is it possible there was some re-roofing from damage caused by that ginormous tree or other? Are any of your neighbors long timers tlbean2004? Ask around. The tree looks like it is coming out of the roof LOL!!

This post was edited by sasafras on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 20:17

o

No sasafras I would say that is the original roof. A small little house like that they would not reframe the roof just because. I do not know the reason it was built like that but I am sure there was a reason originally.

o

But apparently we'll not get responses to our questions from the OP. Weird.

o

maybe not...but this commet was pretty funny
"It does look a little like someone sat on it. "

I am currently working at a house where roof pitch
is 3/12. one of the 3 added on parts has a roof pitch of
1/12. shingled. don't think that will last...but what can
you say, HO just had roof re-shingled.

o

Saltidog

I am not "home repair" savvy. Im not gonna answer questions i have no business answering.

o

"I am not "home repair" savvy. Im not gonna answer questions i have no business answering."

Nonsense!

Questions like, "Are you in the VERY HOT south?"

OR. "Do you live in an area prone to hurricanes?"

OR. "That can't be the same roof that came with the house can it?!?"

o

saltidawg

Oh! Please forgive me. Im very sorry. I misunderstood

I live in Arkansas. It is hot here. We dont really have hurricanes here, and yes, that is the original roof for the house. There is hardly any headroom in the attic.
The good thing about the roof is that is has a 3 foot long overhang.

o

"The good thing about the roof is that is has a 3 foot long overhang."

Do you know if that is a common practice in your area to help keep the home cooler?

I guess I'm asking if you see many other homes with roofs similar to yours?

o

I guess about a quarter of the houses on the street have an extended overhang, But most do not. I guess it does keep the house cooler. As well as having the huge tree over it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here